Inconsistent behavior, same code, different server

Hi,

I have a php application that I developed on my RH Linux workstation running
Apache v1.3.20 and PHP v4.3.6.  The actual production system is also RH Linux
but running Apache v2.0.47 and PHP v4.3.6.  The php.ini file on both system
is the same.  The application talks to our sieve server and enables users to
setup email forwarding and vacation responses.  After the user presses the
submit, the application connects to the sieve server and correctly sets up
the filter.  This works properly on both my workstation/development system
and the production server.  The application then displays a status page
indicating whether or not forwarding was setup and the forward address, and
whether or not a vacation response was setup and the response text.  The
status display values are each based on the value of a single variable
($fmode and $vmode respectively).  On my development system, this page
displays perfectly correctly, but on the production server the status page
always displays forwarding as unset.

Granting the possibility that I may have unintentionally defined the
variables differently, what might cause them to be treated one way on my
development system and another on the production server given that the
php.ini file is the same on both systems?  Any clues?

Thanks.

--
Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager