Re: 403 not working -- apache 2 / php5 / linux

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 15:21, Jason Morehouse wrote:
> Jonel Rienton wrote:
> > man chmod, i gather you're new to linux/*nix
>
> I don't need a lesson in file permissions, thanks.  Apache runs as
> nobody.  The problem isn't trying to get apache to display test.php,
> it's having it display the proper 403 error page, rather than a php
> error when it doesn't have access to a page.
>
> Each page, test.html and test.php have the same permissions.  The html
> page gives the expected 403 error message when I try and access it
> (thats what I want).  The other, php script doesn't.  This is a security
> concern for me as it reveals paths on my system in the event a page has
> the wrong permissions.  Why does apache not server the 403 on the php
> page?  Maybe  this is better off in the apache list.

Ahh.  well I guess everyone got a refresher on *nix perms at least :)  I
see what you are concerned about but am wondering if relying on the
underlying file system perms is a good thing to begin with.  Still, I
have no answer for your question.  It is an interesting one and I hope
you will enlighten us once you find the answer.

FWIW it sounds to me to be a php issue.  Apache sees the php extension
and passes it off to php who then pukes on the perms.

Bret