Re: sharing info between websites with XML?

p80 wrote:

>> > yes this is how I'd like to proceed
>>
>> OK, if there are only a limited number of these "pre-defined bits of
>> data"
>> then the easiest way is probably just output it as plain text (you don't
>> say what kind of data you're sharing) in an easy to parse format (CSV,
>> XML,
>> whatever you're comfortable with).
> and in case i need it what if it's not "pre-defined bits of data", how
> shoud
> it be handle?

That's an open-ended question.

If you can limit yourself to specific data-types in MySQL, PHP, and in the
recipient/sending web-sites, you can build a fairly simple system where
your XML includes the data-type of the information being sent, and you can
use type information available from MySQL and PHP to send what you want.

But there are more and more complexities as you add more and more types of
data:
int
float
text
are simple enough, but then you go with char() and varchar() and throw in
BLOB and ...

If you want to support *ALL* data types, you've got a major project on
your hands, though, especially as you'll find that converting data into
and out of XML will make some things a lot more complex than they seem at
first glance.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm