Re: a question about the PHP manual

On Thursday 09 December 2004 1:56 pm, Eakin, W wrote:
> I've noticed that most of the replies to the questions on this list,
> when they refer to a part of the manual,  point to the same few sections
> over and over. Such as arrays, strings, sessions, objects, and a few
> others. My question is this, when I'm reading the manual, is just that I
> should be concentrating on a few sections (and if so, which?), or should I
> be giving equal attention to all the sections, including some (I suppose) I
> might never use.

Here's a suggestion...

Go through Section III on Language Reference thoroughly.  You'll need to
understand pretty much all of this.

Skim though sections IV and V (Security and Features) so you know what's there
and come back to them before you use PHP in a real application (specially the
Security section!)

In the function reference, look in detail at the following sections:
- Array functions
- Date and Time functions
- Directory Functions
- Filesystem functions
- String Functions
- Variable Functions
- plus the specific section for the database you want to use
The above are all pretty common requirements in most PHP applications.

Then skim though the following sections and come back to them when you need to
use them:
- Error Handling and Logging Functions
- HTTP Functions
- Miscellaneous Functions
- Network Functions
- Regular Expression Functions

Then dig into the other sections in the function reference that interest you.

My 2p

- Nick

--
Nick Talbott, Powys County Council, UK
IT Policy and Strategy Manager/Rheolwr Polisi a Chynllunio TGCh

email: nick.talbott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
fax:   01597 824781
web:   www.powys.gov.uk