RE: [Lamp-user] [PHP] Pasting text from MS Word into PHPmyAdmin

I think by default phpmyadmin wants to use the iso-8859-1 character set.
This matches the typical mysql Latin-1 character set which is also 8859-1.

So I think where the issue may be is that Word is not using 8859-1.
Figuring this out is not easy, but the basic idea is that you are probably
having the default Western European (Windows) character set, which is
Windows character set Windows-1252.

Although this is supposed to be *mostly* Latin-1 compatible, it's actually
different in some ways. So when you are cutting your 1252 code page snippets
and pasting em to the 8859-1 page, you're losing some stuff.  You can *try*
this but I have no way of replicating the experiment on my end.

In Word:

Tools|Options|General

Find the Web Options button

Use encoding tab, and change your character set to Western European (ISO).
If that doesn't wreck the original document, then perhaps you'll be able to
cut and paste as you expect.

Best of luck with it.  If nothing else, this discussion might hopefully
point you in a direction that will lead to to solving your garbled chars
mystery.