RE: PHP-editor connected to FTP?

Chris <mailto:spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    on Thursday, November 18, 2004 8:56 PM said:

>> HTML-Kit (www.chami.com) will do this. I've been using HTML-Kit for
>> almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with a bad save.

> I use HTML-Kit as well and feel it is a bloated pile of crap.

i'm sorry you've had so much trouble with it! but in the hopes of not
scaring off other users i feel it is my duty as an html-kit user to
respond.

> Tab
> handling is broken (if you select "tabs" over "spaces", selected text
> will still indent with spaces if you press tab to indent the whole
> block of code).  It suffers from severe option overload.  It lacks
> the ability to use secure FTP.  It also lacks simple features like
> setting a block of selected text to all lowercase without a plugin.

1. i use spaces all the time so this is not a problem for me.
2. i admit it, there are a *ton* of options. most of which i have not
even bothered to set.
3. until very recently i have worked exclusively with a local ftp server
so a secure connection has not been a concern.
4. i've never wanted to set a block of text to all lowercase so i can't
really comment on this one.

> The only feature I actually like is the ability to edit files via FTP
> so that when I hit save, it uploads the new copy to the server.  So
> if that's all you really care about in an editor, HTML-Kit will do a
> fine job.

that pretty much sums it up for me. :)

> Also, if you tell it where PHP is found on your local
> machine, it will highlight all of the PHP function names.

i thought html-kit did this based on the filename extension? i've never
pointed html-kit to any php executable (considering it's not even on my
local machine) and it recognizes functions fine. are you referring to
something else?

chris.