Re: PHP-editor connected to FTP?

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:35:42 -0800, Chris W. Parker <cparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Peter Lauri <mailto:peter@xxxxxxxx>
    on Thursday, November 18, 2004 12:42 AM said:

What editor do you use when working with websites (php) connected
directly to the FTP?

I like Eclipse 3.0 with the PHP plugin, but it do not have the future
to connect to the FTP.

HTML-Kit (www.chami.com) will do this. I've been using HTML-Kit for almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with a bad save.

hth, chris.

I use HTML-Kit as well and feel it is a bloated pile of crap. Tab handling is broken (if you select "tabs" over "spaces", selected text will still indent with spaces if you press tab to indent the whole block of code). It suffers from severe option overload. It lacks the ability to use secure FTP. It also lacks simple features like setting a block of selected text to all lowercase without a plugin.

The only feature I actually like is the ability to edit files via FTP so that when I hit save, it uploads the new copy to the server. So if that's all you really care about in an editor, HTML-Kit will do a fine job. Also, if you tell it where PHP is found on your local machine, it will highlight all of the PHP function names.

I have tried Ultra Edit, which claims to have a similar feature and supports secure FTP, but has a horrible implementation compared to HTML-Kit. EditPlus claims it can connect via secure FTP through an SSH tunnel, which simply does not work if the server it is connecting to does not allow FTP connections at all.