Re: splitting string

Jason Wong wrote:

You're not using your database like it should be used. Each invidually identifiable item should be stored in a separate column. Lumping everything into one column makes it harder to extract and process data. Google for "normalise table tutorial", or "normalize table tutorial" if you want things from a mainly American point of view.

I mentioned Name, Address, City, ... just as example.
In my case, I use really just for ONE string that has to be written in several lines. I collect these lines separate, but, since the are one thing I put them together as one string (from now, using pipe to separate them). I really don't think I should use any of three normalization processes. Or, even as American, I am wrong? :)

-afan