RE: Pure PHP menu tree

Do you really want to have every single click go back to the server and then
have the browser need to reload your entire page just to expand a limb (not
sure limb is the right term) of the tree?  That is what you would have to do
to be pure PHP solution since the only place PHP can execute is on the
server.  JavaScript is generally accepted as the solution that will produce
the fastest user interface response, because it runs in the browser machine,
and does not require the trip to the server and back just to expand a part
of the tree.  There are a couple of really good js solutions available,
blueshoes has a good one.

http://www.blueshoes.org/en/javascript/tree/

If you are willing to distribute PHP to each workstation along with your
code, you could consider creating a PHP GUI (Windows type) application that
does not execute through a browser.  PHP-GTK provides a tree "widget", but
if you are not used to developing for a windows (non-web) type environment
it could prove quite tough.

http://gtk.php.net

Hope this helps,

Warren Vail