Good Class/API Design ?

Hey all, I just got my hands on the excellent books PHP Anthology 1 & 2 and am wanting to start playing around with classes. My question to the list is, what, in your opinion, constitutes good class/api design? Is it better to design several smaller classes that each focus on one task and do that task well, or to build more general classes that handle a number of related tasks?

Also, when you are beginning a new project, what methods do you find helpful to follow in taking your project from concept to finished?

The books also mention ways to use phpDocumentor to document your code and SimpleTest to test your code as it is written. These along with some XP techniques I read about seem like good practices to follow. Does anyone have any other ideas/practices that it would be good for a new oop developer like myself to make a habit it of?

Thanks!!

--

Adam Reiswig