RE: Mac OS X and Editor

Philip Thompson wrote:
>> I don't personally use Mac OS X, but let me throw in a
>> recommendation for jEdit (www.jedit.org).  It's Java based, hence
[...]
> Just a side-comment: in general, OS X users enjoy/use Cocoa-based
> applications over Java-based. Cocoa provides the "OS X Experience"
> with the native aqua interface and other cool features that Java
> cannot always supply. (Not intending to start a discussion... just
> informing those non-Mac users.)

It's also been my experience that Windows users prefer pure Win32-based applications
over Java-based ones as well.  However, IMHO jEdit is so flexible and powerful, and
so completely out-classes every other *free* Windows based IDE I have used, that I'm
willing to put up with whatever headaches using a Java based program imposes (which
isn't much if you have a reasonably fast machine).  And it is possible on Windows to
configure jEdit so that it's look and feel is very much native Win32.  I'm not sure
if this is possible on OS X or not, but I'd be surprised if it weren't.

Also, this may not be an advantage for the average joe, but for me the
cross-platform capability that Java brings is a major advantage.  I'm a Windows user
now, but eventually I plan to switch to OS X (once I have the cash).  I like the
fact that I can use my favorite IDE, including all the plugins/customizations/macros
that I've built up over the last year or so, on OS X or Linux with a minimum of
hassle.

As usual, this is all IMHO and YMMV... :)