Re: general research question(thanks!)

> Thanks for all the great replies.  I will have fun preparing this
> particular report.
> -dg

It can be difficult to show support for Open Source software when up
against proprietary software when proprietary has the backing of money to
offer assistance. With Open Source, when something goes wrong, YOU get the
blame. With proprietary, the software company gets the blame.

The company I work for is branched off into several data centers. Luckily,
the data center I work at is very open minded with open source software
and I take advantage of it greatly. It's served my center in many ways.
Yet, the company as a whole is still very Microsoft-centric, even going as
far to say that the only IM client you're allowed to use is Microsoft's
with their main intranet website requiring IE only. Yet we're having
budget cuts for 2005. It kinda makes me sick to think what money could be
saved if we switched some of strategies to free software. The knowledge
base and know-how is there with us techs, it's just the upper management
that's out of the loop.

Anyways, ending my slightly OT rant and going back to PHP, my only guess
as to how to speak with your boss is to show the similarities between
Sharepoint and PHP rather than showing what Sharepoint can't do. That
would put your boss on the defensive and make him/her resent you. Then
after you show the similarities, show the costs/savings of Sharepoint/PHP.

Does that make sense?

--
--Matthew Sims
--<http://killermookie.org>