Re: general research question (maybe a little OT, sorry)

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:44:32 -0700, lists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My boss recently called PHP "good for hobbyists" but REAL sites have to
> be done with Microsoft technologies.  He wants to use Sharepoint for a
> wiki type site because of versioning.

Well, I can't dispute a person's opinion as far the hobby thing goes,
since that's how I started with PHP.  But now, years later, I look
back and there sure are a lot of us using it, hobby or not:

http://www.php.net/usage.php

I will add that I've been feeding my family with my PHP skills for
several years now.

> Can anyone point me to resources about versioning and inherent
> strengths and reliability of PHP?

PHP strives to remain backwards compatible except in the most extreme
cases, and only has compatibility breakages across major revisions.  I
know this from experience but I'm sure there are some docs to prove it
as well.

One of PHP's inherent strengths is it's super-low (easy) learning
curve.  You can be writing complex scripts in as little as a few days,
possibly less if you're already a programmer in some other language
like Java or Perl or C++.

Another strength is the PHP manual.  In my opinion no one scripting
language on the planet has an online manual as good as PHP has.  I
can't begin tell you how many times I've copied and pasted code
straight out of the manual to get the job done fast and efficiently.

And last but not least, look where you are.  You asked for help and
you are getting help, fast and with no $'s required.  Enjoy.  :)

Microsoft is very yucky in my opinion.  I'll save that soap box for another day.

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer