Re: Installation issue

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Jerry Adair wrote:

To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Jerry Adair <fivetomins@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Installation issue

Hi,   I have (seemingly) successfully installed both Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2.6 on my PC here at home.  I followed the installation instructions carefully and have visted the FAQ sites and help guides.  Still, I cannot get an embedded PHP script (in a HTML file) to be executed by Apache.  I can run PHP as stand-alone without problem and when I type in http://localhost I see the "It Works!" message.  There are no errors reported in the Apache error log.  I noticed in the PHP documentation that if I can see the php source when I select "View Source" from the browser that this means it is not being handed over to Apache, so there is a problem with configuration.  I have tried both methods (CGI and "As Module") but neither make a difference in the outcome.   HELP?!   Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry. Your almost there.

As you state, the problem appears to be with your Apache configuration.

In your Apache configuration file httpd.conf, you should have the following entry to load the php module:

(I have split my Apache loadable modules section into a seperate include file, as these modules can change from one version to the next of Apache. This allows me to continue to use my main customised httpd.conf file across upgrades, and then just create a new loadable modules include file, for the latest Apache version.)

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
Include conf/F8-dso-modules-2.2.8

# the php install script will look in httpd.conf file
# for 'LoadModule' directives, and create one if it does not # exist.
#
LoadModule php5_module        modules/libphp5.so

#-----------------------------------------------------------

That should load the module into Apache.

Assuming that the Apache php module is loaded, it looks like the only thing left to do is edit your Apache httpd.conf configuration file, to tell Apache to pass your php-enabled web pages to the Apache php module for processing, like this:

# AddType allows you to add to or override the MIME configuration
# file mime.types for specific file types.
AddType application/x-compress .Z
AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz

# php specific filetypes
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .hml
AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

Basically, you can use any filename extension you want for php-enabled web pages, to send the contents of that file to Apache's php module for processing. Just add it to the list above, and php will process it.

I can't understand why the PHP installer doesn't modify this part of the httpd.conf file, to complete the PHP Apache module installation? Maybe that's an overdue bug report/feature request to the php developers?

HTH

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

The mind of the prudent is ever getting knowledge, and the
eear of the wise is ever seeking, inquiring for and craving
knowledge. Pr. 18:15 Amp

TMDA [http://tmda.net]