PHP Page Refuse to Display PHP content

Hi,

   I am trying to install PHP so that I can connect to MS SQL from the PHP scripts.
   I have successfully installed Apache and brings me back a good page with no errors, and tried to create a php page in the usr/local/apache/htdocs folder. Here is the code of what is in this page:

<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
<h1>PHP Test</h1>
<? echo "Hello!";?>

The problem is that I do not see the execution of PHP anywhere on the HTML. I have set the short_open_tag to off in the php.ini file, but I am not sure what could be the problem that I could not see the execution of the PHP page.

Can anyone please tell me what might have gone wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Alice
Alice Wei
MIS 2009