help using php with msqli

Hi,

I'm learning php and some of the sample code I'm working with requires mysqli support.I'm getting a fatal error when I try to load a page that uses the mysqli_connect() function:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in

(You can see the error generated on this page: http://www.thriftytitle.com/dummies/mysql_up.php)

I'm running php version 5.2.1 and MySql version 5.0.37, which the documentation I've read said should supports the mysqli functions, but I can't figure out what I need to change to get the page to load.

Here's what I've checked so far:

I checked my php.ini file. I tried adding this to the dynamic extensions section:
extension=msql.so
extension-msqli.so

The php.ini file already contains the [MySQLi] code related to max_links, default_port, default_socket, default_host, etc.

And my extensions_dir is set to what I think is the appropriate extensions file on the server, though it is set with the ext directory as part of the path, which may be unnecessary.

The php.ini file I am editing is the one indicated as the Configuration File Path when I run the phpinfo function.

Can anyone help me figure out why the mysqli_connect() function isn't working with the configuration described. Thanks in advance for any help.

Caroleigh Deneen