Apache load

I've completed the installation of Apache version 2.0.63 with PHP version 5.2.5 on an HP DL360 running Solaris 10 x86.  Everything appears to work just fine but when I start testing using our load testing software, I am noticing that the load on this system goes quite a bit higher when the PHP module is loaded as compared to when it is not.  For example, without the PHP module, I see a load average of 27.8 when I run the Faban load test against the box.  When I run the exact same test with the PHP module loaded, the load goes to 44.3.  The Faban test I have configured does not load any PHP pages but the fact that the PHP module is loaded appears to be causing the increased load.  Any ideas why?

Jesse Santana
Project Lead - Enterprise Services Group
Information Technology Services
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA  90840