Re: PHP v4 vs. PHP v5 behavior

Pardon me for oversimplifying, but it doesn't report the file not found, it reports a permission error.

To debug the problem further I'd hard code the entire path to the file and see if the error still occurs. If so, look at the user and group of Apache and make sure there's --x permissions at the least for the world. relax the permissions to 555 and if it works start to ratchet down till it breaks. Probably at anything less than 511. There's also some new security enhancements like those in SELinux that prohibit access to files regardless of loose permissions.