Re: PHP v4 vs. PHP v5 behavior (fwd)

Sorry for posting to you directly Jesse. Here it is for the list now.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Jesse Santana <jsantana@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  PHP v4 vs. PHP v5 behavior

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Jesse Santana wrote:

<snip>

The new server we are setting up is running Solaris 10, Apache 2.2.4 and
PHP 5.2.3.  The same script I mentioned above produces this error:

Warning: include(./../extension.inc) [function.include]: failed to open
stream: Permission denied in
/home/bu/jsantana/htdocs/php/IncludeExample.php on line 3

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './../extension.inc'

for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in

^^^this directive is not set correctly - it looks like the default values to me. Maybe you need to check the include_path value for the previous version of PHP.

If I define my include path as
include("/home/bu/jsantana/htdocs/extension.inc");, the script works fine
with PHP 5. Can anyone explain why under PHP 5 the ./../ does not back up
one directory from the directory where I call my script from?

include("/home/bu/jsantana/htdocs/extension.inc")

You may need to set that option in your php.ini file, so it is a standard include path.

I use ../../ all over the place on PHP 5.2.1 - the only complaints I get from PHP is if I have not set the include path correctly.

I compile php myself, and use a copy of the configuration file for the previous version. I make backups as well, just in case I need them.

You could also use a GUI-based file comparison utility (like KDiff3) if Solaris has one, to compare both php.ini files from PHP4 and the new PHP5. This will highlight right away any differences in those two files.

HTH

Keith

Thank you,

Jesse

Jesse Santana
Project Lead - Enterprise Services Group
Information Technology Services
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA  90840
Office: (562)985-8511
Fax:     (562)985-8855

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net