register_globals sometimes "On", sometimes "Off"

I'm having a problem that I cannot find a solution to.

My global php.ini contains "register_globals = On".

My virtual host Apache configuration doesn't have any "register_globals"
setting.

When I execute "phpinfo()", it says under "PHP Core" that "register_globals"
Master Value is "On".  The problem is that sometimes the Local Value for
"register_globals" is "On", and sometimes it's "Off" -- seems to be random
as to whether or not it's going to be On or Off.  I do not know what would
cause the value to change like this.

Vital Statistics:

PHP Version 4.2.2
FreeBSD Version 4.9
Apache 1.3.33
Zend Optimizer 2.5.10

I believe, though it's difficult to confirm, that if I put "php_admin_flag
register_globals on" in the VirtualHost configuration, that the Local Value
remains "On" all the time as it should.

I don't know if it's PHP, Apache, Zend, or me causing the problem.

Any help in finding out what's causing this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

Patrick