Re: borked install - cannot downgrade

The PHP installer is a savage beast.  When it works, it works.  When it
doesn't, it can be very hard to figure out what went wrong.  If I was in a
position and had the expertise to do so, I would love to add some robustness to
the installer so that maybe once in a while it would tell you why it didn't
work.

regards,
Peter

P.S.  Did you know that PHP 5.1.6 is out and ready for you to install?
(www.php.net)  ;-)

> OK, the downgrade to 4.4.0 was resolved (a bogus call to load the PHP5
> module--which still existed--was left in httpd.conf). All good, but i
> wanted to get PHP5 installed, so i started over again, this time leaving
> the php-pear RPM in place, but removing the others before make install.
> This satisfied PEAR and everything is fine.
>
> That's for the benefit of google, and anyone else who might have
> similar problem.
>
> However, i had to point extension_dir to /usr/lib/20050922/ because
> that's where make put them. This isn't critical (everything works) but
> i'm confused as to why that dir isn't /usr/lib/php (or php5). It seems
> rather odd to name it after what appears to be a date (though i don't
> see any files in the source distro which correlate to it).
>
> Just curious.

On Yahoo!7
Photos: Unlimited free storage ? keep all your photos in one place!
http://au.photos.yahoo.com