From: Lea Murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2/12/24 11:23 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: PhotoForum educational network <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [PhotoForum] Re: Publishing Questions

Belinda,

I’ve self-published many books for personal use and gifts.

If you intend to sell you might like to add the ISBN numbers but you could always do it post-publishing via a sticker on the book or wrapping. Not every buyer/reseller will require an ISBN.

I published greeting cards for many years and one big corporate client required ISBN numbers—I had stickers printed and added them to the clear cello-wraps that the cards were packed in and that worked just great.

I’m not sure what you mean by your copyright question but the book you create is yours and copyright is automatic (in the US). You can note it on one of the interior pages but I don’t think it’s necessary because it’s understood. You could look at other self-published books to see what those creators have done. I’ve never added it to any of the books I’ve created.

If there will be text, any text, have eyes other than your own look at the book before publishing. I’m guilty of missing mistakes in my own writing because my brain knows what I meant to say and my eyes don’t always see the errors. Trusted friends can do this or you can hire an editor.

I second Andy’s suggestion that you print one and look for errors/ways to make it better before printing a full run. Again, have at least another pair of eyes on it looking for any errors in type/grammar.

Things can look very different in print vs a monitor and having a hard copy will let you know if you need to make any adjustments to your images.

Holding a book of your work in your hands is very satisfying!

Congratulations on your project.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we’ll click