Re: Photo damage after Harvey

Andy:
I was thinking about the many photographs that were and are being damaged by floodwaters in Texas. Recovering and saving them will be very difficult I imagine. I wonder if the items are possibly salvageable one thing to do early on is to make a copy of them as soon as they are found and prior to any attempt at saving/restoring them. What steps might people take to try to save their photographic “heritage”?

Andy

wash and dry films and negs, digital.. not a lot that can be done for that. I'd probably put those issues at the bottom of my to-do list though as I'm sure you would too Andy - lives come a long way before anything else and with food and shelter needs they'll be facing I'd be more inclined to burn the photos to keep someone warm than preserve the pictures.

I honestly have no idea what people are going through there though so I may be being excessivelyy dramatic - I just hope people are OK and surviving

rebuilding can be heartbreaking but for some, the forced elimination of things aquired across a lifetime can be a godsend. Our possesions are supposed to serve us, but often we end up serving them

my best wishes to those affected

karl