Photo damage after Harvey

I was thinking about the many photographs that were and are being damaged by floodwaters in Texas.
Recovering and saving them will be very difficult I imagine. I wonder if the items are possibly salvageable one thing to do early on is to make a copy of them as soon as they are found and prior to any attempt at saving/restoring them. What steps might people take to try to save their photographic “heritage”?

Andy