Re: couple of comments on this past week's photographs

Hi Yoram,

Geometrical properties have been “rectified” since photographic time immemorial (so to speak!) using tilts and shift controls on a view camera. In fact, in the 50’s and even into 60s if an architectural photograph was not corrected for converging verticals it was deemed to have a flaw.

The interesting thing to me though is that we actually “see” converging verticals when we look up when near a building. But perspective works both on a horizontal plane as well as a vertical one.

In fact, actually we do not “see” in a rectilinear manner at all … we are surrounded buy curves. And I am not talking of the human kind. Andreas Feininger made a series of photographs included in one of his books demonstrating this and I am merely repeating what he pointed out … but which I believe had been pointed out way in the past by others as well. Maybe going back to historical Greek architects and such.

But, I am out of my league with this … just mumbling away on a Saturday evening.

Best to all,

Andy