Re: Lens advice please.

You sound spot on with the 50mm.

I might be inclined to start there and only add the zoom once you feel you must. Sounds like for your type of photography a wider zoom vs. a longer zoom would be in order.

Most of my tutoring clients come to me with a passel of lenses and interestingly they almost always, at some point or other, find their way to the "nifty fifty" as if it's a brand new concept.

It's at that point I encourage them to look at Henri Cartier-Bresson's work and let them know that if the nifty fifty was good enough for him it'll most likely suit them just fine, too.

I treated myself to a Canon 50mm 1.2 two years ago. It has place of honor on my camera and goes with me everywhere. It's probably the only lens I need though I do have many others.

Actually, I have three 50mm lenses...the 1.8 and the 2.5 macro as well.

It's a field of view I find very appealing. Enough but not too much.

Happy shopping. Don't you just love getting new gear?

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click