Re: PhotoForum Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

My experience with the 3880 (and 3rd party inks) goes back only some 18 months for now. I exchanged cartridges at the time when the original Epson ones were about to run dry. This usually happens with the black colors first, but it certainly depends on your printing history.
I have not seen any change in quality.
I use “inkOwl” products and there are youtube videos on line to demonstrate how a conversion works. You basically have to install a generic container before the Epson one runs out of gas, switch the chip from the Epson and then (using a syringe) fill and prime the new one. This can get a little messy, but any mess will clean up with water.
Only downside: Your printer won’t show the correct status of the ink tanks anymore. For the printer they all appear to be always full. However, since the supplied tanks are transparent (other than the ones from Epson), you are able to check yourself on occasion and top off one or the other as needed.

Hope this helps,

Klaus