Re: 150-600mm lens vs. telescope

Having had ’some’ experience with wildlife and other faraway subjects (errant husbands + wives in odd spots), not yet released cars, national politicians, etc. for clients/publication, I recommend not shooting with a zoom. Get a 400 f2.8 and a tele-extender and get busy. Yeah, and so what if it costs $10k? It is worth every penny. Get a loan and begin shooting for bucks.
And if you shoot Nikon rather than Canon, be aware that your choice of brands is gonna cost you $1500. There are other issues with Nikon too, but I won’t go into them, although they have to do with focus. This guy also knows he is gonna be shooting off a tripod, correct? So he also needs a good head and there is really only one. Get the Wimberley gimbal head so you can swear by rather than at it.

The deal is this: let’s suppose he is traveling to (for example) Belize to shoot wild dogs (a friend just returned from doing exactly that). Why spend $350+/day to be on location (including air fare, hotel, rental car, insurance, home mortgage, assistant?, etc) and take along a sack of shit lens? Something else to get: a client/buyer for the better shots he will presumably be taking.
Prints