150-600mm lens vs. telescope

i have a tutoring client doing some lovely wildlife photography work.

He's wanting a longer lens for some of his bird, deer, bear photography.

He's considering the Tamron 150-600 lens vs. using a telescope.

I recommended the lens for the auto focus capability.

What he wants to know, and what I can't seem to explain well, is the 'reach' of the lens. How far out can he see with a 600mm lens vs. something like a 200mm?

Any ideas on how to explain this or suggestions on where to go to find a chart that might show it in feet?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com