Re: Corpse Photography

Klaus wrote:

My personal theory is that these photographs follow in the tradition of creating death masks to preserve memories or create painted portraits.

And everyone is different, I guess. I myself am quite content to not have seen my dad (or have a photograph of him) after he died. I’d rather have a living picture of him in my heart.

you might have a point there. In earlier times photography was a pretty expensive thing and not everyone had portraits made in a timely fashion- it'd be no stretch to think relatives would seize the last possible opportunity when the aarrived to ad a carte-de-visite of Uncle Dave to the family collection.