Boxers and Ballerinas

Toni Bentley says, "As a former ballet dancer I have never liked photographs of my profession that are blurred, time-lapsed. I understand the implied whirring speed of the action, the decision to emphasize the transitory nature of the art, but it is too frequently sentimental, focusing on the chiffon wrappings while avoiding the body of steel inside."

Her article in the online version of The New York Review of Books is accompanied by some fabulous images by John Goodman, from his first solo exhibition in New York.

See them here:

http://bit.ly/QOHmvc