Re: PF members new photographs on March 29, 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Andrew Davidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated MARCH 29, 2014.
 Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

                Emily L. Ferguson - Juvenile female snowy owl
This image is first of all unusual, and therefore interesting, for me because in all other images I've seen the owls had their eyes open.  Otherwise, however, I think the image might be a bit flat.  Especially with the closed eyes, a vivid portrait would be super.

                Don Roberts - Riding out the Storm
Within the generally constant overall texture, the only thing going is the subtle arc defined by a few of the birds toward the right.  The falling(?) snow adds to the texture but it needs the caption to be known as snow.

                Art Faul - Self-promo with AVIS letters
I don't understand the point of this.  The A-V-I-S letters, as they're lying around, don't imply anything to me.  The yellow color, associated with Avis, may mean something, but . . .

                Lea Murphy - Trust examined
The conjunction of the word "trust" with the graphic of world or astronomical coordinates on a negatively curved surface brings up the idea of exploration -- coexisting with the trust of explorers' convictions.  Really neat image, especially with the fuzzy edges which imply uncertainty.

                Shyrell Melara - Bite Bite
Nice shot for the family memo album.  Could have used more light to bring out some contrast on the child's face.  I would like to see some drama with the attempt to bite the apple, but I don't know how that could happen.  And the young lady in the background has to go.

                Bob McCulloch - Bar Harbor
I am very put off by the color cast, but otherwise it would be a nice scene.  Maybe less harbor on the right.

                Bob Sull - Lorain Lighthouse
Potentially strong but to me it's missing something. My suggestion, after trying to see what, is to reduce the amount of sky -- reason being that with the foreground and the sky together as it is the lighthouse seems too close.  Farther out, standing alone, facing the cruel water, yadda, yadda, would make it more impressive, and it would happen if there were more foreground and less background.  Just my take, of course.

                Yoram Gelman - Inactive Chair at former Scranton Lace Factory, Scranton, Pennsylvania
My own image.  In my comments, the part about how the factory closed is true.  The part about the woman is made up -- my attempt to dramatize.  .  . don't know what came over me.  But the upright chair struck me as a contrast to the randomly strewn relics of an important structure.

                David Dyer-Bennet - Snow lace
Again, interesting for what it shows.  The evolution of structure is contrary to the usual notion of degradation toward randomness in the universe; I like to show things like that.

                John Palcewski - Musician
I think everything in this image is great. . . the hand over the keyboard, the attitude of the face, the self confidence of the musician.  But maybe, maybe, the blue stripe on the pants of the figure in the background could be taken out.

Here's to our fearless host. . . . and to more, and honestly critiqued, input.
  -yoram