Re: Salvaging the Unsalvagable

Center for image permanence at RIT.

On Feb 5, 2014 6:29 PM, "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2014-02-04 19:43, Randy Little wrote:
> Like these
> http://www.fireproofofficefiles.com/fireking-four-drawer-37-15-32-wide-lateral-file-4-3822-c.html?gclid=CIHV4t7ts7wCFSUS7AodGwUADA

Thanks for the example.  $3k *once* for enough space to store quite a
bit of material shouldn't be a huge problem for a successful
professional (though some modestly successful artists would still find
that a big  bite).  (Or maybe once every five years, depending on how
productive they are :-) . )

That's a UL Class 350 1-hour rating.  My understanding is that
photographic materials aren't safe at that temperature and humidity
level (350 degrees F, 85% humidity), and that the Class 125 or class 150
is necessary (so-called "media" safes, developed for floppies and
optical disks); but I can't find any authoritative source online saying
what they think is safe for photo materials.  Do you have a good source
for what experts consider survivable?  (My position seems to be commonly
repeated by random posters online, but I can't find anywhere that I take
seriously that either confirms or denies it.)

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info     Nikon DSLR photo list:
http://d4scussion.com