Salvaging the Unsalvagable

40 Years of Photography by Pulitizer Prize winner Destroyed by Hurricane Sandy

"The stories that continue to surface about the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy include photographer Randy Taylor, who lost almost the entire archive of his work that spanned nearly 40 years as a result of the deadly storm.

"Taylor kept his archive in a storage facility and wasn’t allowed access to it until a few weeks after the storm. He had initially received word that some damage might have occurred, but when he finally gained access—by donning a hazardous materials suit and mask—he found a much more severe scene. 'I descended into the smelly, wet, and dark bowels of the powerless building, which had flooded floor-to-ceiling with contaminated water,' Taylor said via email. 'What I found was a jumbled, gooey mess of papers and things 3 to 8 feet high. It took the first day to carve out a vertical space just 2 feet into the unit, so I could merely walk in the door.'”

Whole story in Slate, with salvaged damaged images, here:

http://slate.me/1lm8XRs