Rules

On Jan 5, 2014, at 11:33 PM, Andrew Sharpe wrote:

 but Jan/Art/Prints/Whateverhisname
(and sometimes Randy, but certainly not as much) really irks me, and
Trevor's comments were well chosen

I have not understood what my detractors on this list are trying to accomplish in photography if it is not just enjoying the ability to make photographs. This is essentially why I shoot pictures. I really love making images and the negativity I get from some here is troubling. The very people who have accused me of bringing misery to their lives are bullying me for being different.
What I have noted about my life and imagery has fallen on deaf ears so here it is again:
I have been a professional photographer since July 27, 1970. I have made tens of thousands of exposures on film. If you were born after that date, you should not try to catch up as life is not a competition.
I have been making a living with my wits for almost 44 years. I didn’t draw a paycheck, get W-2’s, sit in an office, drive a cab, wait tables, or push papers around for a living. I only made photographs, and curators refer to me as “prolific.” I have 26+k contact sheets in my mostly complete scanned rolls folder. I’m neither bragging nor apologizing for making this quantity of work, but rather simply stating the facts.
Most if not all of you have not followed the same difficult path, and have not sought to have a varied professional photographer’s life. It feels like all of my detractors here have day jobs and my advice is to not give them up.
Being a free-lance professional photographer means that you’re always ‘on’, you don’t tell clients you don’t feel like working, that they should come back another time, or that your favorite camera body is in the shop, so they should wait. In addition to all that, you also have to create good to great images day in and day out, but sick days are allowed. Although I have recently taken 1065 sick days in a row, few of you have shown any compassion. It’s like “So what?”
My wish for the Gorams, Trevors and Andrews of this list is that they grow up. We all make our own paths and some do it by following rules and others do it by breaking them and purposefully not following instructions.
Noblex Oblige

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------