Re: PF members exhibit Sept 07, 2013

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated Sept. 07, 2013. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

John Palcewski - Walking

This is one of those almost perfect moments one finds out and about. Since Photoshop can now fix minute details on images, I suppose the more detail oriented among us would have John take out the woman on the street and replace her with another woman on a street wearing heels or even the same heels as displayed in the advert. In lieu or an RPG, the car might be either completely removed or as is my choice, pushed back so the center of the rear wheel bisects the frame edge. While the photographer is at it, also get rid of the little imperfections in the recessed walls and sloppy door locks, and if we’re really going to go whole hog, reshoot with at least a medium format camera so a big print can be made successfully.

Yoram Gelman - Sloop at Verrazano

Speaking of a medium format camera, I just don’t get anything about this shot. It might be retitled “Soft Flare at Verrazano”.

Pini Vollach - Italy

Having been in Italy more than a few times, this shot screams “ITALY”. If It were titled “San Diego” I’d have real trouble with it. The light looks Italian, the scooter looks Italian, and so do the imperfect brick and stone walls. Above all, it does not appear that Pini shot this during the normally ‘forbidden’ times to shoot between 10am and 4pm. Between a0 and 4 is when you;re supposed be having a siesta, either sleeping or doing other things.

Christopher Strevens - Station on the bridge

Unless I’m mistaken, Blackfriars Station has been under construction for some time and where Chris is standing is the not quite finished new part. I’m happy it is nearly done, although I’ve avoided going there again since that journalist in one of the Jason Bourne movies is killed by a sniper shooting from inside a moving advert. In the background of Chris’ shot I can see The Shard as it is known, and also Tower Bridge about a mile and a half away. I’m glad Chris is getting out and shooting transit points / rail stations again. I wish I were so fortunate as to have been in London on this day.

Bob McCulloch - Beach Pine

This is a shot I almost certainly would not have made. I like the big picture more than the little one.

Art Faul -

There is not much ‘locker room’ in this picture despite a comment accusing me of that. I honestly have no idea what to say in this forum any longer as there are those who accuse me of hostility and ‘locker room’ behavior more often than not. I would like to remind my critics that since you are not hearing me speak, my verbiage is perhaps a bit concise as I dislike typing too many words when fewer will do.

If there is a reason for this image being in the gallery this week, it is not because Jack Hansen was my assistant, but more that this is an example of an image not too many of this group’s members could have made. It is not a grab, snap, or causally made image. It took two weeks to plan and set up in a 600 sq ft studio, and who takes two weeks for anything like this now? It also had to be shot at night as my studio could not go perfectly black, and the various crew members had to sit or stand at their posts to turn power packs off and on again as well as to raise and lower large pieces of plexiglas and black velvet. It is pre-photoshop and done in the Polaroid days. This shot is here for the studio shooters to see, and off the top of my head I’d say Randy Little, Robert Earnest and Andy.

This week marks a point in my career few have attained. Yesterday marks the 50th year of my charging to take a picture.

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------
Art for Cars: art4carz.com