Innovate or Die

Can Photojournalism Survive in the Instagram Era?

Renowned photography theorist Fred Ritchin has a simple message for
those behind the camera: Innovate or die.

In late May, the Chicago Sun-Times took the unprecedented move of
gutting its photography department by laying off 28 full-time
employees, including John H. White, a 35-year veteran who had won the
paper a Pulitzer. The nation's 8th largest newspaper figured it could
cut costs by hiring freelancers and training reporters to shoot iPhone
photos, to which Chicago Tribune photographer Alex Garcia responded:
"I have never been in a newsroom where you could do someone else's job
and also do yours well. Even when I shoot video and stills on an
assignment, with the same camera, both tend to suffer. They require
different ways of thinking."

The whole thing here:   http://bit.ly/16L5D5h