Re: Innovate or Die

Can Photojournalism Survive in the Instagram Era?

Renowned photography theorist Fred Ritchin has a simple message for
those behind the camera: Innovate or die.

I was involved in a conference here some 10 years back when the photographic industry was taking a hammering, many photographers were showing off their new works in response to the massive downturn in demand for photography - multimedia presentations, videography, graphic design.. all 'embracing the new digital media', all with a look of desperation on their faces. Innovate doesn't always mean out with the old, in with the new..

the sad thing was I had worked in and with people who *really* worked in those areas, and the efforts the photographers were showcasing were at best, poor and shallow imitations.. at worst downright amateurish. The fact was even in the wedding market the videographers were taking work from photographers, pulling stills from their video streams to produce albums and they were doing it really well.

as you quoted "Alex Garcia responded:"I have never been in a newsroom where you could do someone else's job and also do yours well. "

It was sad - I said my 2c worth - along the lines that to survive we have to become special, we have to do something others see as difficult or near impossible.. we have to make it appear that our skill set is valuable, and to that end shooting film was where it was at if we were to survive as professional photographers.

The bulk of the attendees didn't see it that way, but after my little speech had concluded I had a few accost me and agree, some had been early explorers in digital and turned back to film, some had stuck with film all along, but these guys were still working and commanding prices above the digital shooters.

Sure, for news, magazines, web and such digital is perfect but there's still a place for film and I strongly believe when the dust settles, the man (or woman) holding a manual focus MF or LF camera doing wet printing will be the person grinning.

like I said, that's just my 2c