problem-solving in PS

I'm wondering if someone can help me trouble shoot an action I'm trying to create.

Background:

My goal is to make a more efficient workflow when I do black and white conversions on images.

I use an action in PSCS3 to convert images from color to bw. It creates several adjustment layers that I can turn off or adjust as needed.

I add two additional layers by copying the background layer and making one layer screen mode and one layer multiply mode. Then I use a normal mode brush and paint, varying my opacity, to dodge and burn as needed.

What I'd like to do is get the dodge/burn capabilities on one normal mode layer and change my brush back and forth from screen to multiply as I do my work.

This would create a smaller file (one less background layer) and would allow me to switch from dodge to burn on the fly using quick keys on my Wacom tablet.

The actions I've created and tried to use to achieve my goals are not working.

My questions are:

Can someone see where I'm going wrong?

Is it possible to screen and multiply on the same layer by switching my brush preset back and forth OR does the layer itself have to be set to screen or multiply?

Does my mask color matter? I'm using black but maybe that's not right.

Many thanks for any help you might offer.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com