Re: PF members exhibit on June 22, 2013

Yoram Gelman, Jim Beam because...I like the general idea of going back
to recreate early photographic processes.  Re-living history, so to
speak.   So this image falls into the category of "First attempt to
make a tin plate collodion."  Now, what grade should this get if it
were part of a class assignment at a technical school or university?
There's no point talking about composition, framing and so forth
because that's not what this is about.  So that leaves execution of
the process.   How have other contemporary photographers handled this
kind of trip down memory lane?   Well, here's a wet plate collodion by
Ed Ross, a photographer up in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
http://bit.ly/11x2gAT     I'd give Ross an A, and I'd give yours a C
plus, or maybe a B minus.

Bob McCulloch, Three Dorys.  The title and subject of this image is
"Three Dorys."  Seems to me that this image would benefit by a close
cropping of those three boats, getting rid of most of the background.

Art Faul.   Surely all that white sand and cloud could have been
burned in a little.   And I wonder how patrons at a gallery showing of
this photo would react to that superimposed copyright notice at the
bottom.  Oh, all rights are reserved!   I guess I won't be able to
steal this thing, eh?   Oh, well.

Randy S. Little, Kelly.  The framing seems pretentious, a failed
attempt at being "arty,"  and the darkness of the face of the
otherwise pleasant and charming model  is verrrrry distracting.  Just
a touch of dodging would have been be a great improvement.