Re: PF members exhibit on June 22, 2013

On Sat, June 22, 2013 4:42 am, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated June 22, 2013.
> Authors with work now on display at:
> http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

Ok, color me confused. Our two most outspoken members, who are in no
uncertain terms here to educate us, provide us with two photographs with
which I find very little to commend. More fool me, I suppose. More down
below:

> John Palcewski - Ali & Fan

A very nice portrait. I find it a bit odd that they are looking in
different directions, but perhaps the girl is fascinated with the lights,
and Ali is looking at her parents. But really, I'm nitpicking; the
photograph is fascinating. I'm sure there is a great backstory, but the
photograph carries its own with out it. Absolutely my favorite photo this
week.

> Yoram Gelman - Jim Beam because. . .

Well, I still don't know why. Nice tonalities, and it certainly looks like
this media brings back the simple wonderment of a picture appearing on an
emulsion. But the reason why the whisky, rum and unnamed bottle are there,
except for providing different shapes in the bottle study, eludes me.

> Bob McCulloch - Three Dorys

An idyllic scene, to be sure, but the three boats compete with the three
houses for attention. It might be stronger without the mansions.

> Art Faul -

Well, except for the somewhat interesting structure with insulting
graffiti, I find this photograph uninteresting, very poorly composed, with
too much negative space, nothing in the negative space, and a distracting
tilt.

> Randy Little - Kelly

Hmm. Her face is badly lit and the hands are awkward. And with nothing
better to look at, the subject is her scarf. Was that your intent?

Really, I know that Randy and Jan/Art have *gobs* more experience than I
do (and probably more than I will ever have, considering that I am already
close to Jan's age), and I respect them for that, but I guess I wished the
photographs that they provided were more demonstrative of that experience
and talent.

Andrew
--
http://andrewsharpe.com