Re: Keeping images safe Was: golden age layoffs

On 2013-06-14 12:40, Randy Little wrote:
> Kodachrome is a black and white film that has color couplers added in the
> processing.  All other modern color film have the couplers integrated.

Yes.  There are a few print processes that don't use integral couplers
(the best known being dye transfer), but no film processes of any
currency other than Kodachrome (which is not actually current, but we
probably all have some in our files).

> Its the only color film that I know of that was ever considered archival by
> any measure.   every things last longer stored in nitrogen and dark.    The
> thing to do would be to check with the Image Permanence Institute at RIT.
> https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/

Yes.

(There are probably weird things an expert could find that don't last
longer in dry nitrogen in the dark, but most of them aren't very
"archival" to begin with.  Live plants and animals come to mind :-). )
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info