Re: Keeping images safe Was: golden age layoffs

On 2013-06-14 09:40, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Why ? Where is the demagnetizing coming from? and can't they last longer? I
>  think I still have a hard drive with windows 98 on it . I think I  will
> attach it to my windows 7 machine and see if I can read the  data.

It's fun to try old stuff now and then.  While the data from them is all
one my disks so the CDs don't matter, last I checked my first Photo CDs
were still readable.  I haven't yet had an optical disk that passed
verification fail later, that I've noticed (I do write one-shot disks
that I don't keep or test, so who knows?  Those tend to be on the cheap
blanks, whereas I use gold archival for the ones intended for archiving.)

I also hooked up a 5.25" drive to read some old floppy disks 5 years ago
now, and found the disk I really wanted to read (Windows font pack) was
not still readable at least with that drive.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info