Re: June 1, 2013 Reviews

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As to cropping -  I could take a nice picture of a subject, say a face with the best lens (imo) for the job  - say a 200mm lens - or I could shoot that face with a 100mm, 50mm or even a 16mm.  As long as I maintain the correct perspective for the photo I can then crop any of these images and get an identical image to that had I used the correct long lens in the first place. The only difference is one is cropped by the lens, one is cropped in the darkroom.

They only difference is the magnification in the dark room results in a lose of resolution IN ALL CASES.   You do not have the same image you have a smaller version of the same image with each corresponding lens field of view.     so if you where trying to get the SAME image quality.  You would not.   You would have the same problem in both film and digital that you are SCALING in the very very wrong place unless you like Grain or scaling artifacts.