Re: thick skins.. thick skulls

On 2013-04-04 04:12, wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Luckily that wasn't really what was meant; rather, for video other than
quite serious, try your cell phone first before doing anything drastic.

In my case it's for serious video where a smartphone sadly does not cut it at all.

Yes, lots of such cases exist of course.

Where you DON'T want autofocus by default
Where you DON'T want autoexposure by default
Where you DO want to select light quality
Where you DO want access to a range of lenses
Where you DO want to be able to focus pull
BUT
You don't have access to a dedicated professional video camera that day.

Yep, all of those things have important places.

I do find my cell phone useful for yet another camera to provide a static covering shot of, say, the author doing the reading (or the audience seen from behind that author) so I have something to cut to when my good footage doesn't work out :-). It's not ideal, but I find it usable (and this is for presentation on the web, not at a big conference with a tech budget).

Almost all SLRs come video capable now.
I must have bought the last mid-range canon that was not - even the 550D does a good enough job.

I'm still on my D700, but my Micro four-thirds system will do video. Not that I do anything with very high requirements.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info