Re: If you shoot models

I served my apprenticeship in a fashion studio with an extremely talented photographer.  The editorial, "Fashion" stuff which could have some creative input was cool... He called it "Pix for the mags"
But the bread and butter of the business was catalog photography... and everything was determined by the client at a briefing. The poses, the accessories, the feel of the lighting, The expressions of the models... every detail. The photographer was a paid technician. Nothing more. The model was a mannequin and nothing more... something pretty to hang the clothes on....

They were NOT looking for Guy Bourdin, Richard Avedon or Helmut Newton!

On 3/25/2013 7:01 PM, Jan Faul wrote:

I shot a few Ford models when I shot Scandihoovian fashion a long long time ago. Dealing with buyers and clothing mavens was so nerve-wracking I had to give it up - they wanted every line of stitching to be lit and I didn’t think I was shooting still life. The better the model the more relaxed I felt as they would not knowingly screw something up. On a shoot in Sweden, I realized that although I thought I was the talent, the women were each earning three times what I was making.
There we were in the land of tall blonde Swedes posing nearly naked women in furs, stockings and heels in snow and all the models were American. They liked being able to talk to the photographer without going through a translator. That was hard work and okay, the models were mostly nice, but... some complained almost constantly.

Jan

On Mar 25, 2013, at 8:38 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

On 2013-03-25 18:38, Randy Little wrote:
The do.   but models don't get to pick who shots them.   I have lots of
stories from being an assistant about how models where treated even when
not being treated badly.   Unless they are a super model they are a
product.   Not to treat them badly but they are just there to hold the
dress up or canvas the make up or wear the shoe.   The bigger the shoot
complexity the more they are a commodity.   Smaller the shoot the better
they are treated.

Makes sense, and my first-hand experience is with very small shoots.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------