Re: cokin slide-in adapter for traditional lenses?

After putting on the polarizer could you space out the distance to the Cokin holder by put in a step up adapter ring and then a step down adapter ring to give yourself space to turn the polarizer? You could also use several skylight filters as spacers.(even with the glass broken out). If you have an old polarizer you could break out the filter and put it next to the Cokin adapter so when you twist the working polarizer the Cokin filter would not turn.
Roy