Size of photographs sent to PF gallery - explanation

Dear PF list members,

The PF gallery staff hardly ever alters the contributed photographs but does so when the size is so large that it makes it difficult to view the whole image on a common size screen with average pixel size without having to reduce the image size (while viewing it) once or several times. As it is, the maximum length suggested is 1000 pixels in longest dimension but even this does not fit many smaller screen. The worst is when someone views your photograph and decides not to examine it further because at fist the image does not fit their screen. To a large extent this is all about making the viewing experience as hassle free as possible.  But contributions are more important than anything. The staff will mange them as best they can and as they deem appropriate.

FYI
Andrew Davidhazy, for the PF gallery staff