Re: PF members exhibit on 01-19-13

The sad part of display art is that when art become familiar it hangs on the all like an old lover, or a lover which has been marginalized or shelved in favor of a newer model. If viewers were not involved with the making of the art or don’t get involved with the art, they simply see it as something filling a piece of wall. Within 30 days or less, they see the piece of art so frequently in their home or office that they lose that ‘fresh’ feeling they had when it first arrived and within several months either no longer see it as they walk past, or start thinking, “oh, that...” This is why Bill Gates is reported to have a home filled with digital frames so somebody can switch out the art when it gets boring.

There are others who are so blitzed by visual images as they appear on TV, on a computer’s screen, or elsewhere that all they can relate to is images of family members, pets, babies, or loved ones. According to Kodak some years ago, a survey of prints ordered from minilabs showed that their customers favorite prints were: babies, weddings, fish.
I propose that next week we all try to enter images of babies, fish, and weddings. Right away I can see this swill be a problem for me as the only fish I have on film are all dead.

Jan