Re: phree photoshop

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Little" <randyslittle@xxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: phree photoshop

Its not free it for people who OWN cs2 because the lic servers are going
down.   If you don't own a lic and you download this you are still
pirating.

yeah no.

Pirating is copying and selling software or ther copyright material, the apologists to industry might *want* users of illicit software to be viewed as pirates but they are not. Even Pirates may even be Bad People by breaching copyright, but copyright breaches are simply that, and liable to civil action - aside from the US and similar countries where *certain* copyright breaches have been uprated to criminal breaches due to pressure by industry lobbies to have the populations labelled criminals by virtue of their existence.

If the law were honest it would be a criminal matter everytime somneone photocopied a book. Though I see that in the US there are moves afoot to prohibit loaning, selling or giving away old music CD's, books and other copyright material - not a good way to go.. and currently you can be prosecuted for destroying CD's of music under certain legislation in place. Heck, I'd love to be able to call my federal authorities every time someone pinched one of my pictures. (Actually I wouldn't, it's a power disparity that should not exist)

The downloader and user of the software are compliant with the terms of the EULA.

Tell me, have you ever left the USofA? Did you take your phone or a laptop? Did you declare to the appropriate authorities that you were doing so, and obtain the appropriate and security clearance license to export this or did you illegally shipping encryption software and algorithms out of the country? - a federal offence - Heaven help you if you had onion or tor software, I understand that is still requires the appropriate munitions license!

(I always wanted to be a pirate.. or a ninja)

footnote:
the music indstry saw it's biggest increase in sales *ever* the year Napster P2P was introduced as it did the same for music as radio did decades before, it introduced people to music they otherwise had no access to. Sales have dropped slightly since then - slightly.. but they still have yet to drop below the pre-Napster sales figures.

The film industry has seen massive losses for movies of late simply because mass communication has enabled reviewers to pan rotten movies via their mobiles while watching the premiers. Gone are the days where they could roll movies out slowly across the globe, duping new audiences into paying for tripe. However some (good) movies have made astonishing returns for doing what they're supposed to do - entertaining us and doing it well, ie District 9

All industries will see saturated sales. Growth is not permanent - many Highly Paid and Well Educated people fail to grasp the concept of saturated markets. Exec's might have dreams about the exponential growth they saw across the short time of adoption, but like the computer market, that massive growth ends as sales plateau - what we're seeing now is the violent death throws of big corporations as they turn on the very consumers they depend on.

There is evidence that some new software, particularly games, block access to certain websites once installed - without alerting the user that this is being done. This IS illegal.

Sony music CD's installed rootkit viruses on millions of computers around the world. This IS illegal.

Adobe has produces some of the most invasive, poorly coded and botched software ever, they have broken standards to extort and force upgrades and they have broken users PAID software for the same purpose (new versions of reader breaking old versions of Actrobat creator) - this is borderline illegal.. but who has the clout to take them to task over this?

for the record, I care not a wit as I use cleaner, faster and better coded software for editing images - PS is nice for graphic designers (though vector based programs would be better than the archaic bitmap based stuff) but again, they nailed almost everything in their earlier incarnations, new tools added are often freely available elsewhere that do the job faster once extricated from the clutches of the adobe monster. For those who want the CS2 version, Adobe appear to have made it freely available online, their EULA appears to suggest by obtaining it from Adobe and using the provided serial, the user of this software would be legitimate.

Finally, Abobe is aware of the page, links and serials. Adobe can take this page down any time they choose.. This suggests they would be complicit in this software distribution and thus are offering tacet approval.